2014 Canadian Open Sepak Takraw Championships
August 2 - 3, Regina, SK:
The 2014 Canadian Open will be hosted at the UNIVERSITY OF REGINA, GYM 2 on Aug 2 & 3.
Regina is a booming little city located in the heart of the Canadian Prairies! There will be the following divisions competing in the 2013 Canadian Open:
- Cdn. Sr Men (20+), competing for medals, 1st place trophy, prize money & sponsor prizes is expected to be the best teams from Calgary, Edmonton, Regina & Saskatoon and possibly Winnipeg and Langly.
- Cdn. Jr Men (19 & under) competing for medals, 1st place trophy, & sponsor prizes ... pending number of registrations.
- All Saskatchewan teams will be also competing for the Provincial Championship title ... the top three SK placed teams will also receive a provincial trophy, and Gold, Silver and Bronze provincial medals (since the Canada Day provincials had to be cancelled due to excessive rainfall and wet grounds, the event has now been combined with the 2014 Canadian Open).
- International Men's division will compete with Canadian teams ... pending registration.
All Canadian participants must be currently registered STAC Team/Club Members; Schools/Clubs in all provinces have been encouraged to practice, compete against neighboring schools/clubs, host a tournament, and send their top teams to Regina this summer to compete in the Junior & Senior Divisions!
Open age Mens International teams are invited as well to attend and compete in the 2014 Canadian Open as well ... no registration fee will be asked of attending international teams, and the organizing committee will make every effort to take care of local transportation, food and accommodation.
TEAMS: REGISTER EASILY ONLINE HERE
download STAC Team Membership Registration Form here
download Team Registration Form here
VOLUNTEERS: download Volunteer Job List & Registration Form here
SPONSORS: download Sponsorship Opportunities Sheet here
MAIN INTERNATIONAL RULE CHANGES TO BE AWARE OF:
At the 2013 ISTAF Congress, a few changes in the International Rules governing Sepak Takraw were made. The 2014 Canadian Open will be governed by the newly changed rules, mainly as follows:
1. Went back to "The best of 3 sets wins the match", instead of the best of 5 sets (found that the matches were taking too long);
2. Who wins a set is decided by the first regu (team) to reach 21 points, but must win by 2 points up to a ceiling of 25 points - so if score is 24-24, next point wins;
3. If a 'Tiebreak Set' is required after each opposing regu wins one set each, who wins the the Tiebreak Set is also decided by the first regu (team) to reach 21 points (rather than only 15 points as it was before), but must win by 2 points up to a ceiling of 25 points - so if score is 24-24, next point wins, just like the first two sets;
4. Serving the ball remain the same, with each regu taking turns serving 3 consecutive serves at a time, regardless of who wins the rally - with a point continuing to be awarded on every rally, same as before;
5. Two Substitutions are allowed per regu per set, also the same as before;
6. Download NEW 2014 Score Sheet here or from Attachment below.